Friday 1 January 2016

2015 in review

So here we are at the start of 2016. Before getting on with this year I thought now would be a good time to look back at last year and all it held.

2015 was a massive year for me. On a personal achievement/changes level it would probably have to be one of the top five years of my life. Not quite up there with getting married and having children, but not far behind. Certainly on par with moving overseas and changing jobs. 2015 is a year that I know I will look back at for the rest of my life and shake my head in wonder that it happened at all. I don't know how much longer I will go on and race triathlons in the professional ranks, but even if it is a few more years, 2015 will be important because it was where it started.

2015 has so many memories of significance. Like lining up for my first Pro start in Malaysia and looking across to see Crowie and being struck with the realisation of what I had signed up for. Signing my first autograph in Japan. Having kids want to take photos with me simply because my race bib is a black one. Having sponsors provide me with gear because of something I can do. All these moments are ones that I periodically just sit back and wonder at. I am 36 years old now, when did life take this turn. When did this crazy world become my reality. 2015 was a year that involved me pinching myself quite regularly.

The year certainly hasn't been perfect, with a heart scare in August and my current shoulder injury. But I came out of the heart issue with much more knowledge and a better athlete as a result. I am hopeful the same will apply to my shoulder injury. Despite these set backs, the positives from last year far outweigh the negatives. I mentioned this the other day, but some of the more memorable positive events from 2015 have been:
  • I got my professional license and raced my first pro race (plus some others)
  • I learnt a lot about how to be a professional triathlete (still lots to go there)
  • I got my first Ironman Top 10 result, plus a few more
  • I started 8 Half Ironman races (and finished 7 of them), over half the months this year contained a race.
  • I went to the Philippines for the first time
  • I went to Malaysia for the first time
  • I went to Japan for the first time
  • I got some sponsors and they have been great
  • I met lots and lots of awesome people all over Australia and the world
  • I started working part time and have discovered a rather enjoyable work/life/training balance,
It is certainly not 'cool' to admit this, but I have a drawer at home and in it is every race bib from my professional races so far. This sounds a little bit sad, but I keep them because so far this has been a fairly outrageous adventure for me. That adventure really started in 2015 and that is why it will always go down in my memory as an amazing year.

This year being as awesome as it has been hasn't been a solo effort and so I should take this chance to thank a few people who made 2015 the success it was. Firstly coach Daryl, without whom none of this would have been possible. My wife and family who are endlessly supportive no matter what, I couldn't do this without them. The guys at Swim Smooth whose coaching and support has fundamental to my swimming continuing to improve. The Break Your Limits Club for their on the ground support, cheering both in person and online. Churchill Cycles for the endless patience to my stupid questions. My sponsors, Falco bikes, Mizuno Australia, Hammer Nutrition, Caden Wheels, Mako Wetsuits, Sportstreat and Compressport Australia. The support they provide with equipment and services make this triathlon adventure possible.

2015 was a great year. I am really looking forward to seeing how the adventure continues in 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment